Another writing blog!? “Noooooo!” cries the blogosphere. But fear not! I am not actually going to try to teach you anything! That’s right. This author isn’t going to pretend he knows how to write. He’s just going to share with you what HAS helped him and what IS helping him learn.
So who am I? Good question. And as soon as I figure that out, I’ll tell you. In the meantime, here’s the Revised Standard Version of this thing I call “me”:
I’ve sold two picture books to major publishers. Neither is out yet:
- “Stalebread Charlie and the Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band” (Clarion 2017). The amazing Don Tate will illustrate.
- “Muddy: The Story of Muddy Waters” (Atheneum 2017). Illustrator yet to be determined.
I plan on selling more. I might even shoot for middle grade or YA novel one of these days. I’m not sure. And I don’t feel like I have to be. I’m repped by Minju Chang and Kendra Marcus of Bookstop Literary.
I’m also a screenwriter. I’ve had some minor successes in contests, but haven’t made the big sale yet. This is going to change. Not sure when, but my manager, the amazing Jon Karas of Infinity Management International, tells me we’re getting close. I’ll keep you posted.
A few other fun facts:
- I’m a preacher’s kid.
- My mom is Chinese. My dad, Scotch-Irish.
- I have a Ph.D. in American literature from Claremont Graduate University with an emphasis in Literary Theory and American Studies.
- I spent 6 months in China studying Kung Fu and Buddhism while in graduate school.
- I was Pi Phi Sorority’s Professor of the Year in 2009 at San Diego State University. (You’re laughing. But I have the plaque to prove it.)
- I’m lead guitarist in a well-known, Southern California 80s cover band called Neon Nation. (If you didn’t laugh before, commence laughing now. To continue laughing, go to www.neonnation.net).
- Most importantly, I’m the proud father of a boy and a girl, both under 5. Oh, and my wife is amazing. And hot.
So that’s me. Who are you? If the word “writer” comes to your mind, you’re in the right place.